PEBBLE MULCH Vs BARK MULCH
Spring, the perfect time to prepare your garden. One question regularly asked is should you use Pebbles or Bark to mulch your garden.
There are many advantages to using pebbles rather than a bark to mulch your garden beds. Here are just a few:
1. Pebbles may cost a little more initially however, they are much more cost effective as they do not break down or decompose over time like Bark does. Bark needs to be replaced annually whereas good quality pebbles will last forever, making them cheaper over a longer period of time.
2. The vibrant colour of Bark usually only lasts 4 to 6 months, quickly becoming grey and dull. Pebbles retain their colour.
3. Bark can blow or wash away in areas exposed to open winds and heavy rain.
4. Pebbles are durable, clean, and easy to apply, no specialist skills are required to apply.
5. When some types of wood chips and bark mulch decompose, they attract different kinds of insects that are drawn to the decaying organic matter. Pebbles are an inorganic ground cover that doesn't decompose and therefore minimizes the risk of such bug problems.